Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Season for Preaching Salvation and not Sin

A few weeks ago I visited a church (or church hopping as some of you would put it) and a pastor was preaching about how we have different seasons for different things. He got me listening attentively until he made a certain statement...

“This is no longer the season for preaching sin. This is the season for preaching salvation. We must not be stuck in the season of preaching sin, but must move on with the changing of the season and preach salvation”...

With this statement he got me stuck in that moment throughout almost the entire service. It was hard for me to continue listening to him as my mind was debating this issue.

As for as I believe one cannot obtain salvation if one does not believe that he / she is a sinner. Is it not true that we obtain salvation through the conviction of sin by the Holy Spirit? If we are not convinced that we are indeed sinners would we ever even think about true salvation through Jesus Christ?... No...

How will people get to believe that they are sinners without first being preached to about sin? What this pastor was actually then saying is that we can obtain salvation without even knowing what we are being saved from. Does that sound right? I don’t think so...

Didn’t Jesus after all also preach about the sinful nature of man before he told them that He is the only way to salvation?

Needless to say that church will never see me again. That is dangerous preaching.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment